Re: Database help/advice

by "Eric Anderson" <blainesoft(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Tue, 04 Jan 2000 10:02:33 EST
 To:  danswartz(at)pieinc.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I think you're going to find this is more complicated than you might
imagine. However...

You have several options. You'll have to use either ASP or possibly
ColdFusion to get to an Access database.

I can't comment on ColdFusion, since I don't use it. However, Allaire has a
version of ColdFusion Express that's free on their web site
(http://www.allaire.com) and might show you how to do it from ColdFusion.

If interland.net supports ASP, here's one way to do it in ASP:

1) Ask your ISP to create an ODBC DSN connection. You can call this anything
you want, we'll use pieinc. This DSN connection will need to point to where
your Access database resides. A DSN connection is easier for a novice than a
DSN-less connection. Make sure the ISP also gives you write permission on
the database itself.

2) You create an ASP page. This ASP page is the one being called by the post
method in your form. The page will look something like this:

<% @language=VBScript %>

<%
set conn = server.createobject("ADODB.connection")
conn.open "pieinc"
' this connects to the database

set rs = server.createobject("adodb.recordset")
rs.open "mytable", conn, 2, 2
' where mytable is the name of your table in the database
' this "connects" to the table in your database

rs.addnew        ' creates a new record in that database/table

rs("firstname") = request.form("firstname")

' where rs("XXXX") is the name of the field in the database and
' request.form("XXXXX") is the name of the input field from your form
' repeat this for every input field...

rs.update
' adds the record

rs.close
'closes the recordset (i.e. table in this case)

conn.close
'closes the connection

%>

Wrox Press has an excellent book called Beginning ASP Programming that I
would recommend.

Eric Anderson
Blaine Software
http://www.blainesoft.com