Re: Creating Buttons

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Sat, 29 Jan 2000 12:03:03 EST
 To:  ww(at)cyberdude.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>I'm new at HTML coding but learning fast due the tremendous amount of
>information that I have been able to find on the internet and in this
>group.

Good for you Wendell!  This technology is changing far too fast, and there's
far too much inaccurate information to rely on study courses or books.  I
thought I knew a lot about building web sites too until I signed on to this
list.  Then I realised how much I'd been learning one person's view of
things.  I had taken nowhere near enough account of the variety of browsers,
operating systems, etc using my site.

>I am trying to do something probably very basic but am unable to find any
>info on.  I am trying to create buttons for navigation purposes (links) and
>can't figure out how to make buttons the same physical size, without regard
>to the  number of characters used.  I have tried tables, blank spaces, etc.
>  all to no avail.

If you're not going to use a graphic for the buttons (which would be my
method of choice) I'd suggest using a table thusly:

This would give you 3 buttons of width 'nn' pixels (replace with a number of
your choice) of colour '#rrggbb' (replace with a colour of your choice).
The buttons separated by a white space of 2 pixels (the cellspacing in the
table header) and with a space of at least 4 pixels right around any text
(the cellpadding in the table header).

While I'd normally use graphics, this method has the advantage of rendering
fast, being smaller to load, and you can easily add other buttons by just
adding another <td>stuff here</td> to your table.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mike Kear
AFP Web Development