Re: Converting word 97 documents

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Sun, 30 Jan 2000 14:01:43 EST
 To:  darrell(at)webctr.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
One of the most impressive parts of the demonstration of Dreamweaver3 in the
release meeting was a conversion of a Word97 document.  The word conversion
produced a file that was 970 lines long.   This same file was imported into
Dreamweaver 3 and the "convert Word" command used.   Then the file was
reduced to 230 lines - and looked the same. Just by combining redundant
tags, deleting unnecessary stuff, and general tidying up.

It's very configurable, with filters for either Word97/98 or Word2000.  You
can tell it what you want it to filter out  For example, there's a panel in
the configuration of the command, to tell it to change (using the defaults
here but you can put your own in) size 7 to <h1> and size 6 to <h1> and size
5 to <h2> etc etc.   And you can select it to remove all word-specific html,
clean up <css>, clean up font tags, remove word's meta tags, fix invalidly
nested tags, apply source formatting which tidies up all the munged MS
layout and produce a log when it's finished.

This is not quite what you're asking, but if this conversion doesnt do the
trick  there's what they call HTML styles.   So you can select text and
click on a style-sheet kind of panel, but instead of applying a style sheet,
it adds font or other tags to convert the selected text to whatever style
you have set up.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mike Kear