Re: Another Dreamweaver/Homesite Question

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Wed, 02 Feb 2000 18:27:32 EST
 To:  webmaster(at)rossidesigns.net,
mwilson(at)sigmapath.com
 Cc:  brian(at)livenet.net, hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Dreamweaver is the most kind of any application to other code.  It's well
behaved and doesnt interfere with things it doesnt understand (unlike more
than a few clients I could mention!!)  If it can't figure out what kind of
code it's working with it'll leave it totally alone and assume you know what
you're doing.

One of the important differences about Dreamweaver from other apps is that
it's written entirely in Javascript and HTML, so you can customise it to do
almost anything you want.

I've changed mine to ensure that every page created in my shop has a set of
standard meta tags, including the code for the individual who wrote the
page, and our address etc so I can locate and identify anyone who needs some
help getting things right.

I have set up the parameters for HTML formatting, so when the code is laid
out it looks consistent - every table with a standard format, standard
indents, each new <TR> on a new line, each <TD> indented 3 spaces from its
<TR> etc.   I've set it so every <p> will have a </p> too, and dozens of
other little things like that, to make the code look professional and be
easy to work with.

I've made some buttons of my own too.  We often have to make forms with an
Australian state drop down menu, with provision for people in other
countries to write in their province/state.  So I have put that on a button
on the objects palette, and I know that every form produced out of my shop
will have a consistent and working state menu, with an alternative for
people from other countries, and it'll always be exactly the same code.
(That's unless there's a reason we want something different of course). One
click gives an Australian postcode field, with the ColdFusion code to
validate it against the AustraliaPost data file, the error message for
invalid or missing post codes, and the input field beside it for people in
other countries to put their zip codes instead.

This ability to make our own buttons means that we dont have to keep
reinventing the wheel. Once we work out how to do something, and we decide
the best way to do it, we make a button, put it in the pallette, and bingo,
everyone has exactly the same.

You can make your own palettes too.  So if you have a client with lots of
special needs, you can go making buttons for the things they want.   One
click puts in the client's logo or the link to their home page or their
copyright statement or whatever.  Broadly, if you reuse any code often, its
worth taking an additional 5-10 minutes to make a button and put it on the
standard palettes everyone uses.

So I know that as long as someone is using **MY** set of profiles and
configuration files, their code (if validated) will meet my standards and
look like everyone else's coming from my shop.

DISCLAIMER: Apart from being a fan of the product from usage in my
development shop, I have no connection with Macromedia. In fact, their
Australian PR people will tell you when I first came in contact with  DW2 a
year ago, I was irate and angry, absolutely antagonistic towards them
because of something that happened unrelated to Dreamweaver.  They persuaded
me to try DW2 for a month and I was very pleasantly surprised, and as you
can no doubt gather, I'm a real fan of Dreamweaver and it's partner in
crime, Fireworks.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers,
Mike Kear