Re: Problem with clients?

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Tue, 15 Feb 2000 13:20:22 EST
 To:  grizzlygraphics(at)mindspring.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
OOOO what fun!!

I'd suggest that the owner of the URL owns just that - the URL, not the
site.  All the content belongs to the owner of the site.  Not necessarily
the same entity.

So who owns the content?   You need to think about who paid you, or who
commissioned you to do the work.  Or do YOU own the content because you kept
ownership and gave them a license to use it?  (The method recommended by
Ivan Hoffman on the HWG-Business list.)

I think you should take instructions from who owns the site, not who owns
the URL.

Think of it another way.  Imagine a retail store in a mall.  The partners
split, and one partner owns the name - Toys-R-Us  (lucky fella!!)  but the
other partner pays the rent on the premises is the only name on the lease,
and has bought and paid for all the stock inside.   Would you obey
instructions from the owner of the name to back up a fleet of trucks and
empty the premises?

I wouldn't.  But then, I'm not a lawyer, and I'm always getting into
scrapes.  I'm interested as hell to see how this turns out!  Sounds like a
grand barney's brewing here.

Cheers,
Mike Kear
AFP Web Development