Re: Question: steps/apps required for ecommerce?

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:46:09 EST
 To:  Shell(at)WebEss.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
It all depends on the scale of your client's operations. I have several
clients running small businesses on just a normal isp account.

For example, I have a yoga teacher (http://www.zipworld.com.au/~sophia) who
sells her books, cassette tapes, videos and seminars on her personal isp
account.  I set up some simple forms that accept credit card numbers, but
they do nothing but just email the details to her, and she does the rest in
exactly the same way as if she'd taken the orders over the phone.

On the other hand, I have a store of my own at
http://www.afp.zip.com.au/models.html  where I sell $1500 model warship kits
and that's all based on a flat file catalogue, perl scripts to manipulate
the search and display of the items, and perl handling the order entry and
secure handling of the transmission of the order to me.

And going a little further up the scale, I'm currently building a site for a
large client on a much higher traffic site, where we have all the tricks -
our own server, secure connections, payment gateways for instant and
automatic credit card processing.

What's required depends on what your client needs and can afford.  This is
no different to the situation if you were a shopfitter, building retail
stores in shopping malls for companies.   "How much is a store?"   "Depends
on what kind of store you want."

But don't be fooled into thinking that in order to do business on the web
you have to have a whole lot of technology and expense.  Possibly you do.
But possibly you don't either.

For you to offer e-commerce sites, I'd suggest you would need to be able to
advise on the following as a minimum:

(1) Know about communication - not the technology, the words and pictures.
What sells things and what doesn't.

(2) Know how to build good web pages that don't break when someone comes by
with IE2 or Opera, or that don't look rotten when viewed with Netscape if
you personally use IE (or vice versa)

(3) Know what the rules are for getting creditcard merchant services, and
how you operate the account.  (e.g. what you have to get from the cardholder
to have a valid transaction, how you prove your claim in the event a buyer
wants to reverse the transaction).  Know all the steps required to provide
an audit trail for the card company to prove the buy did actually order the
goods,  did use a valid card, did receive the goods in good order and
condition.

(4) Know the basics of building and making forms work.  (e.g. don't require
states and zipcodes in your forms unless you want to restrict buyers to USA
buyers)  Know how to acknowledge the order to the buyer by email at the same
time as advising your client's customer service department that there's an
order to fill

(5)  Know how to be a good account manager for your client.  They'll come to
rely on you (hopefully) as an adviser for their on-line business, in the
same way they rely on their advertising agency for their other business and
their lawyers for legal things etc.

I hope this helps you.  There is a lot more you can know, but I think this
is a minimum.  You should also subscribe to the HWG-business list, which is
really the place for this kind of topic.  There's heaps of great advice
going on there all the time about the non-technical aspects of running web
sites.

Cheers,
Mike Kear,
AFP Web Development