Re: new browser windows

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:26:00 EST
 To:  nkennedy(at)rcgp-scotland.org.uk,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>I recently read an article about Relationship Marketing in which one of the
>key points was "Do not force open new browser windows". This interested me,
>as for as long as I can remember, I have opened new browser windows for
>external links, rather than have the user move away from my site. I've also
>begun indicating that a new browser window will be opened, and to close the
>new window to return to my site. I'm also considering opening a frameset
>within the new window, with instructions to the user on how to return to my
>site, a la Hotmail.
>
>I'd be interested in other thoughts on this.

As I'm browsing the web, when I want to click on a link it's because its for
something of subsidiary interest.  I dont want to lose contact with the
place I am now.  So I find myself as a matter of habit right-clicking and
selecting "open in a new window".  This is far preferable in my view to
trying to go back with the "back" button or using the history.  not all the
pages I go to seem to appear in the history list.  Or they are not obvious
anyway.

For me, it's a nice plus to have links on a site that open a new window.  I
can easily close the present window if I don't want it any more.   But I
dont mean open a new window like the stupid way Hotmail does it -with a
frame at the top telling me this is a new window.   And I dont mean open a
new window like those wretched adult sites do -= close one window and 3 more
open.  Close one and 3 more open.  Close one and ...... bzzzzzzzzz out of
memory.

But I for one favour the < ...  target="_blank"> attibute in a link in many
cases.   I think it helps me browse the web the way I want to.

Cheers,
Mike Kear
AFP Web Development
Windsor, NSW, Australia