Re: Non-US Domain Registrations

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:56:56 EST
 To:  benrusso(at)idirect.ca,
Chucke(at)captura.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
... and in Australia, in order to get a xxx.com.au domain name you have to
quote your Australian Business Registration number (BRN) or Australian
Company Number (ACN).  (And your desired domain name has to be able to be
made up from some or all of the letters in the business name in the order in
which they appear in that name.)

So you have to be registered as a business with the Fair Trading authorities
in Australia before you can get the domain name.

The domain name registration process automatically checks the companies
registration database for your listing there.  No listing - no domain name.

(saves the domain issuing people from having to worry about your right to
the name etc.  Since you can't register "coca Cola" as a business name here
- its already taken by a soft drink company from Atlanta - you can't
therefore get a domain name that will infringe that name here.)

Although, with all the changes happening lately, it wouldn't surprise me to
learn that companies outside Australia can now register .com.au domain names
elsewhere.

Cheers,
Mike Kear
AFP Web Development