Re: Way off topic and I apologize

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:10:52 EST
 To:  webmaster(at)rossidesigns.net,
Masotti(at)MasottiLand.com,
hwg-business(at)hwg.org,
hwg-languages(at)hwg.org,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>It happens from time to time, don't sink to their level. Bad word of mouth
>can hurt your business more than not getting paid for one job. In the
>future
>don't turn on your computer until you have half the money up front.

Frank, he speaks wise words.   And, having had a couple of clients bo
bankrupt on me over the years, I can testify that while revenge seems like a
fun way to exact a price for your mistreatment, it doesnt put food on your
table, either in the short term or in the long term.

you might well exact revenge on this client, but your reputation as a
professional, reliable and stable developer will eventually suffer.

And from a simple tactical point of view, you dont want to offer a judge the
opportunity to say later on "well he might be unreasonable, but by your
actions you have proved yourself to be just as unreasonable."  Or to give
your ex-client the chance to counter-sue you for damages to HIS reputation
or goods or whatever. "Yes, your honour, I might owe him $5000 but he's done
$8000 worth of damage to my reputation by his public accusations, so as
settlement of this matter, I'll be happy if he pays me just $2000."

I knew of a guy (thankfully I learned about him before I did any business
for him) who had a practice of provoking his suppliers into taking a swing
at him.   Even saying "come on then . if you want the money - fight me for
it!!!"  and always there would be a witness of 5 to testify that the
supplier took the first swing.  In later days, a video camera would
miraculously have been pointed in that direction too.   Then there would be
lawyers.  THe supplier's claim would be amended in settlement of the assault
action.  This guy made millions from this over the years.  Notorious for it
he was.  As soon as the supplier took the bait and swung at him, he had a
different legal position.   And this unscrupulous guy would exploit it all
the way to court.

You mightn't be in quite the same position, but taking any kind of revenge
will put you in the same spot as those poor suppliers.  Leaving yourself
wide open to a counter action which will cost you in the end.

Go for the straight-down-the-line legal approach is my advice.

Good luck,

Mike Kear
AFP Web Development
Windsor, NSW, Australia