Re: web dev/mgmt software

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:39:27 EST
 To:  monclan(at)idcomm.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>I am looking for feedback from users of GoLive and/or Dreamweaver regarding
>why you prefer one program over the other. I am looking at purchasing, and
>need to know strengths and weaknesses of each. Will be using to manage a
>large site with more than one contributor on staff. Thanks.
>
>---Monica

Monica, I've inherited a site with Golive, Frontpage2000, Dreamweaver and a
proprietary publishing system.  There are a dozen regular contributors -
journalists, editors etc and many occasional contributors.

The publishing people use the proprietary system, because it gives many
things they need for their editorial system.  For everything else, I'll
vouch for Dreamweaver.

Front page doesn't even rate a D- for us, so just take my word for it.
Front page is out.

GoLive  is a serious candidate, specially if your background is Mac.  But
it's nowhere near as controllable and customisable as Dreamweaver.

DW3 has many features for collaborative work - for example when you open a
page for editing, it "checks it out" and then anyone else can open the page
but only for read only.  You can set up templates so everyone's pages look
the same.   You can set out a standard format for code layout - for example
two line feeds ahead of a <tr> and a new line and an indent at a <td> - and
as soon as anyone in the organisation uses the command "apply source
Formatting" it will be laid out exactly as you want it.

You can still tweak the source html, either inside DW3 or using an outside
editor, and DW will not change it unless you want it to.

As I guess you can tell, I am sold on Dreamweaver.  I started out as a vocal
opponent of Macromedia, because of something totally unreleated to
Dreamweaver, and as part of our discussions about the other matter,  they
asked me to try their new Dreamweaver product.  I was pretty negative
towards the product, but despite myself, I became a fan of Dreamweaver after
a day.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers,
Mike Kear