RE: Re: Site management/ e-commerce (long letter)

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:02:42 EST
 To:  dclapper(at)clioassociates.com,
pbabcock(at)bgsgroup.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
The reason you dont have to back up your Dreamweaver program and take it off
premises, is because you have the CD and you can reinstall it if disaster
strikes.   All you need to back up and take off premises is the stuff you've
developed.   If you have a disaster, you don't want to have to go back and
re-do all your work, all your tweaking, all your preferences, all the
customising.

Not really pertinent to this discussion because it's about a huge system,
but I find it interesting anyway ....

There was a celebrated case here in Sydney a few years ago when the main
Toyota spare parts warehouse was burned to the ground in a spectacular fire
that had traffic in chaos at morning peak hour.  The IT area, which serviced
not just that warehouse but also the warehouses in probably half a dozen
other locations was right in the middle of the building.   So those other
warehouses were also put out of commission by the Sydney fire.  Not entirely
closed down, but doing business was difficult for them without their IT
systems.

But Toyota's IT people had a good disaster plan and believe it or not they
were fully functional again by lunchtime the same day from another site.
They had good backups off premises and all they had to do was turn up at the
'hot site' with their backups and get started again.

They operated from that 'hot site' for some months until their building was
re-built and they could move back in.

This is normal for large systems - they will frequently test their plans by
simulating a disaster and checking that they can rebuild their IT operations
inside half a day or whatever their plan calls for.  Some companies do it
twice a year.

<soapbox>
But certainly we ought to look to protecting our investment in customising
and in our web sites.    As it happens, by the very nature of our business
many of us keep our web sites on someone else's systems so it's only the
source files and original logos etc we need to back up.   We can get the web
site back by just downloading it from the server.   Imagine all the work
you've done over the last 6 months, and what the implications would be if
you had to get that all back somehow.
</soapbox>

Cheers,
Mike Kear
AFP Web Development
Windsor, NSW, Australia
http://www.afp.zip.com.au
( ...who has a friend in the continuity planning business and hears this
lecture weekly.  So why should you get out of it?)