RE: Am I in a time warp?

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Thu, 04 May 2000 10:03:39 EST
 To:  VillanoP(at)usachcs-emh1.army.mil,
hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

Yeah, I have heard of Front page, and I've had to deal with it at several
client sites.  And it purports to do a lot of stuff.   Even if it delivered
everything it promised, it still wouldn't guarantee results in a finished
web site.

As my kids are tired of hearing me say .... give me a workshop full of every
tool imaginable, and I still couldn't make my car's engine run smoothly.

To provide the counter to my own statement, proper professional web
developers aren't threatened by smartass kids in truth, provided they
remember they're in the communications business, not the technology
business.  That the technology is only there to deliver the client's
message, not to be the end in itself.

My original comment was fairly tongue-in-cheek.  I compete with younger
people and enthusiastic amateurs all the time.  They're a persistent threat
to my business as a web developer.  It only serves to keep my focus on sites
where I have a strength - knowledge of selling from 27 years of doing it,
knowledge of communication from  50 years of doing it, knowledge of how
business works,  and let the kids have all the low-profit accounts.  I'll
pick up those ones later when the sites don't earn a penny for the owners.

As Willie Nelson says "old age and treachery will beat enthusiasm every
time".

Cheers,
Mike Kear
AFP Web Development