Re: Re : weird problem

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Mon, 08 May 2000 11:17:50 EST
 To:  jude(at)ica.net,
Hwg-Techniques(at)Mail.Hwg.Org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thanks for the update Judith,  I'm glad you've got it sorted out, even if
you didn't get much cooperation from the site owner.

I'm amazed you didn't get more interest from them, since after all you were
getting emails intended for them. If you'd have had a mind to, you could
have done them considerable damage.

This reminded me of a story, apparently true, that I read a while back,
about a woman who lived across the road from a new hotel.  When the hotel
opened, they had a phone number very similar to hers, and she started
getting calls intended for them.   She was up to the phone night and day as
the phone calls came, and got heartily sick and tired of redirecting the
hotel patrons to the correct number.  She tried to contact the hotel and ask
them to change their number, but in typical high-and-mighty fashion, they
said they're operating a business and if she didnt like it she can change
her own number.   Pointing out that she had the number first, and all her
friends had her number and they'd just barged into her life without so much
as a by-your-leave fell on deaf ears.  (Yes, I can hear your gasps of
amazement now.)

Eventually, tiring of the constant interruptions and the lack of interest
from the hotel in her plight, she decided to change strategy.

The next person who phoned up, asked for the reservations desk.  She said
she could help and what would they like.  They said they wanted a suite for
the 15th of the next month and she said excellent because they had  a
special on for that day, and she confirmed a booking for half price for that
night only.  The next call, she accepted a booking for a week's stay for
half price, and so went the rest of the day.  She had a busy day making
bookings, quoting for receptions, etc.  She accepted bookings for day tours,
limousine services etc for people staying at the hotel - anything anyone
asked for, she said fine she'd fix it up, and incidentally, there was a
discount or a special on that day for just that very thing.

Then the fun started.  People started arriving at the hotel to find they had
no booking.  A wedding party arrived only to find there was no reception.
Day after day, there were arguments and dissatisfaction in the foyer of the
hotel as day after day people complained about the poor service, incompetent
bookings service etc.  Heated words exchanged on the path outside the hotel
as the Concierge protested that he had no knowledge of a booking for a
limousine or a day tour.

Eventually, the hotel manager caught on to what was happening, and came to
see the woman, who was now having so much fun with the daily circus
happening outside her home that she was reluctant to co-operate with them.

As I read the story, it took the hotel an ENORMOUS sum of money to persuade
the woman to stop being their bookings office,  they had to change their
phone number, and of course it had cost them a fortune in all the discounts
and special deals she'd given people that they'd had to honour, and the
rooms at competing hotels they'd had to buy to satisfy the angry travellers
pounding the desks in their reception area.

Oh, and the NEW management of the hotel changed the phone number.

Cheers,
Mike Kear
AFP Web Development
Windsor, NSW, Australia