Re: using 'mailto' in place of 'formmail'

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Tue, 06 Jun 2000 12:58:45 EST
 To:  robert(at)baylogic.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I can't respond to forms using mailto:  because from this client's office, I
use hotmail instead of the regular pop mail service through Novell
groupwise.  (I'm outside the client's firewall so therefore have no access
to the network)

So using mailto: to handle your form would mean that only people with pop
mail configured would be able to use your form.  Anyone using the web based
emails like hotmail etc would be unable to complete the form.

Also anyone filling the form out at another computer than their own, would
send the form from that other person, not themselves.  (confused? you won't
be after you've seen the coming episode of SOAP!)

My advice?  be self-contained with your forms processing.  Handle it using
your own cgi, that way you know anyone can use it and you have control over
what format your info arrives in.

Cheers,
Mike Kear
AFP Web Development