RE: Forum Software

by "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Thu, 15 Jun 2000 12:43:47 EST
 To:  chosenpath(at)chosenpath.net,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
We use webcrossings in our commercial site at www.choice.com.au.  It can
handle hundreds of thousands of messages a day, although we don't use
anywhere near as much as that.

It's available at http://www.webcrossing.com

I believe web crossings have a free version for lower capacity, provided you
keep their logo on the foot of the page.

It's totally customisable, using templates, but it works straight "out of
the box" so to speak.

You can have multiple forums, user login with/without pictures, email
address verification, threads, users can subscribe to some discussions if
they want, so they are alerted to new messages in their areas of interest
when they log on.  Almost every aspect of the forums is customisable.
Either you just leave everything as is, and it runs, or you create a
template file with the part in it you want to change.

We've been running it for nearly a year now, with the only change we've made
being cosmetic - graphics, layout etc.  We've left the functionality
completely alone and it's worked fine.  We have a forum for each of the
major areas of interest for the Consumers Association - Genetically Modified
Foods,  Household Appliances, Health, Money, Your Rights, etcetc, and inside
that any number of topics are discussed, started in our case by the
journalists who are working on a story or campaign.

If you want to see how we've done it, go to
http://www.choice.com.au/forums/forums.exe

And while you're at it, why not add your comment to our campaign on
anti-spam legislation :)

Cheers,
Mike Kear
AFP Web Development
Webmaster, Australian Consumers Association
Windsor, NSW, Australia
http://www.choice.com.au