Re: need help with an explanation

by "Peter-Paul Koch" <gassinaumasis(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:07:53 GMT
 To:  krhenry(at)sirius.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>OK, I don't quite know where to start.  I'm hoping that this list can help
>me come up with an explanation for a potential client of why <html>,<head>,
>and <body> tags are needed.

Hmmm...tricky questions. I don't have all the answers.

1) The HTML tag is indeed not necessary. It does absolutely nothing.
2) As to BODY, it's necessary for defining bgcolors, onLoads etc.
3) HEAD: don't know, never tried.

>Is the javascript unstable?  What are the ramifications of leaving out
>these
>essential tags?

Certain browsers (notably Netscape 3) are picky about where the JavaScripts
are placed. For instance, NN3 may give errors when a JS include is not
placed in the <HEAD>.

>How do I explain them to this potential client?  I feel as
>though a child has asked me why the sky is blue.

Maybe run their pages through a validator,. show them the output (include as
many Thou Shalt's and Thou Shalt Not's as possible) and tell them these are
VERY serious error messages generated by the W3C itself...?

ppk