Re: Questions

by "Peter-Paul Koch" <gassinaumasis(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:10:25 GMT
 To:  optima(at)hot.ee,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

Stats: difficult, very difficult. Everyone will give a different answer.
Personally, I make sites for 800x600 Version 4 browsers.

>How many browsers are supporting CSS properly? What is their market share?

IE3 supports just enough CSS to foul up your CSS pages. NN4 support style
sheets, but has all kinds of problems. IE4 and 5 support style sheets
correctly. NN6 will probably support style sheets better than IE5.

On my browser detect these browsers have a share of 98%

>Should I use CSS and drop the font tags?

My personal answer is 'Yes!!'

However, ideally you should keep track of what browsers vist your sites. If
Netscape 3 still has a considerable percentage (say, 20 to 30 %) you should
keep the FONT tags for now.

On my websites the Version 3 browsers and lower have only a 2% share taken
together, so I've gone over to style sheets completely.

>Should I design for HTML 4.0 or should I learn XML? Is XML very different
>from HTML?

No, stick with HTML. Client side XML (XML that is processed by the browser)
will not be important for at least another year.

>What is the max size a page should have (including .htm documents,
>pictures,
>style sheets etc)? I've always kept on the 50kb limit, should I continue?

I once heard 40K, but 50K is good to. In a few cases pages will become
longer than this. If you make a longer page, make sure that you know why
you're doing it. In other words: if there's a good reason you can make them
longer.

ppk