Re: TAG case; XHTML; Flame Wars.

by "Peter-Paul Koch" <gassinaumasis(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Tue, 27 Jun 2000 12:50:57 GMT
 To:  c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I think this is a case of "I've seen it on TV, so it HAS to be true!!"

Isn't the same true for all the things W3C pours over our poor heads? That's
the reason why I wrote this article.

>To quote from the article: "XML is a general markup language" - any
>document that starts with that misunderstanding is sure to be full of it.

When writing this, I didn't much care about the exact specifications of XML
because the article is about XHTML. No doubt you're right, but my main
argument is not about specs, but about (the lack of) practical application
of the specs, now and in the future. I may be wrong, but I'd like to hear my
arguments refuted.

I did make one mistake, by the way: I said XML should be lower case. This is
not true, only XHTML should be lower case (why????).

>XML is a meta-language for creating markup languages - it is a subset of
>SGML and is in no way related to HTML.

All of which may be true, but it has nothing to do with my point. The
article is not about the exact relation between XML and HTML, it's about the
reasons for using XHTML and that they're simply not enough at this point in
time.

I don't mean this personally, but I sometimes get the idea that proponents
of XHTML etc. are very quick to delve into the specs to 'prove' that someone
with a different opinion is wrong without paying attention to the actual
arguments. This article is about the practical use of XHTML, not about the
theory.

Part of the reason for writing this article was to goad someone into
replying and actually giving a good reason for using XHTML. Thus far I
haven't heard any compelling *practical* argument. If you know one, please
tell me.

Don't want to start another flame war, but I do want to make my position
clear.

Peter-Paul Koch
Author of http://www.alistapart.com/stories/xhtml/