Re: extending HTML DTD

by "Peter-Paul Koch" <gassinaumasis(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Wed, 12 Jul 2000 07:07:26 GMT
 To:  azamani(at)design-matters.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I would like to extend HTML 4.0 DTD in order
>to REQUIRE width and height for the following tag only
>when the type is IMAGE  :
>
><INPUT type=IMAGE width=33 height=40.....
>
>How to do?

Errr...you can't. If you want to use the width and height, do so.

If you want to force other web developers to use them (why?) you're out of
luck. HTML DTD's probably exist, but no browser pays the slightest attention
to them after it has been compiled and distributed.

Besides, an HTML DTD is not something you can just go and change. If I
understand correctly, this would be possible with an XHTML DTD, although
even then I have no idea how it would work in practice.

ppk