Re: referral links question

by "Peter-Paul Koch" <gassinaumasis(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Sat, 15 Jul 2000 01:49:11 GMT
 To:  karinc(at)ccosmo.net,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Last week someone here recommended using TheCounter.com for web site
>tracking.  I installed a few and have found the results interesting.
>I do have one question that TheCounter folks haven't answered, yet.
>Around 1 or 2 referral links out of 30 come from adult sites which do
>not have links to my site and are not even related to the subject
>matter, thank goodness.  Does anyone know how or why these referral
>links show up? Does this happen with other tracking sites?

I use a JavaScript for sending the document.referrer to the server and find
out where my visitors come from. I've noticed the same phenomenon as you
(one sex site and several sites that didn't make sense). I think the browser
sometimes sends as document.referrer the last page the user was at, even
though he used a bookmark or typed in the URL.

I need to do research on this one. Anyone have the faintest clue what
browsers do this under which circumstances?

ppk