Re: form and links in selects

by Steve <sdeemer(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:45:42 -0800 (PST)
 To:  chip.wiegand(at)simrad.com,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Have you ruled out JavaScript???

I would try :

<FORM name="SRDIndex" target="new" >
<SELECT
name="URL"onChange="if(options[selectedIndex].value)window.location.href=(options[selectedIndex].value)">

<OPTION value="">Select Here</OPTION>
<OPTION value="http://www.wherever.com">text option
1</OPTION>
<OPTION value="http://www.whatever.com">text option
2</OPTION>
<OPTION value="http://www.another.com">text option
3</OPTION>
<OPTION
value="http://www.wherever.com/pages.html">text option
4</OPTION>
<OPTION
value="http://www.whatever.com/pages.html">text option
5</OPTION>
<OPTION value="http://www.another.com/pages.html">text
option 6</OPTION>
</SELECT>
<NOSCRIPT>
<INPUT type=submit value="Go">
</NOSCRIPT>
</FORM>

--- chip.wiegand(at)simrad.com wrote:

> I tried to use a <a href> tag inside a
> <select><option> but it doesn't work. I
> tried
> with the following formats (shortened a bit to save
> space):

> and I've tried with and without a submit button on
> all three versions.
> None work. Is the only way to do this with
> javascript? That seems overly
> complicated
> for such a simple menu. I checked the w3c web site
> and docs and don't see any
> reference to this.
>
> I'm just looking for an alternative to the
> javascript drop-down menu that won't
> work
> without javascript enabled, of course. This is an
> assignment for a class where
> the teach
> is using javascript for the menu, I thought it would
> be easier to do in html.
> Maybe not?
>
> --
> Chip Wiegand
> Computer Services
> chip.wiegand(at)simrad.com
> Simrad, Inc
> Lynnwood, WA
> 425-712-1138
>
> "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in
> their home."
>  --Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of
> Digital Equipment Corp., 1977
>           (-- Then why do I have nine? Somebody help
> me!)

=====
    www.pc-wizard.net       Mr.Wizard(at)pc-wizard.net