Coldfusion Confusion - Aren't We Forgetting Someone?

by Kukla-Fran And-Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:10:35 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Allow me to add some sand into the gears of this discussion.

I don't think anyone here is going to be successful in swaying opinions to one
programming tool or the other, be it ASP, CF, PHP, Python, etc.  Each of us has our
own set of qualifications, experiences, preferences, opinions, etc., which may be
accurate for ourselves but not necessarily so for anyone else.  While I personally
enjoy the discussion, at the end of the day the hot air expended is about it.  :)

But aren't we forgetting someone?  What about the web site's client, and its
customers?  Each has their own set of prefererences and biases.  While you may be
retained by a client (be them net savvy or not), they, too, may have a preference or
three on how to do their work for them.  It behooves you to enlighten your client as
to the best route to take within the constraints presented, not to mention the
customers they see.

Lost you by now, eh?  :)

We had on one site the ironclad requirement that no page could take longer to
download than eight seconds, regardless of the user's connection or browser
preference.  Eight seconds!  Period.  We succeeded by eliminating most of the bells
and whistles, not to mention eye candy, that so many think are "needed" on a site
these days.

The point is, selection of the appropriate tool may very well be decided by a
client's and/or customer's requirements, and you as the designer/developer may have
very little to no input in changing it.

Dennis