Re: Using AOL on local files

by Susan Vollmer <susanvollmer(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:07:56 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  Amy Gosse <agosse(at)chw.org>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

Just wanted to share a few observations that I have
had with AOL.  When I use Dreamweaver, I can preview
the page in AOL 5.0 without actually dialing up.
However, this is not really of much use.

My experience has been similar to Paul's in that the
main thing AOL does is distort some photos and
graphics.  But you only see this distortion when using
AOL as your Internet Service Provider and viewing a
live connection of something you've uploaded.

Something I find interesting also but cannot explain
is that I can take a photographic .png file and export
it as a static .jpg or .gif and it distorts in aol,
such as on this page: http://www.fallenmartyrs.com

(Note, the above should only be distorted if viewing
through AOL as the ISP.)

However, I also started with the same .png file and
used it in a Flash movie which is exported as a .swf
file.  Within that movie, that same photographic will
not be distorted, even when viewed through a live AOL
connection.  That example is at:
http://www.fallenmartyrs.com/flashmartyrs.htm

(Again, unless you're using AOL to connect, you won't
be able to view the differences I'm referring to, and
it will just seem like I'm rambling.)

Regards,
Susan V.