Re: HWG Merger With IWA

by Susan Vollmer <susanvollmer(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Sun, 2 Sep 2001 16:49:05 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  Darrell King <darrell(at)webctr.com>,
Susan Vollmer <susanvollmer(at)yahoo.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

I wonder if there's latitude in how individual
chapters operate.  St. Louis is the only chapter I've
been a member of, and there is no charge here to
belong to the local group.  Someone becomes a member
locally if they attend three monthly meetings in a
year.  Then they are eligible to enter a local awards
contest and have access to a local job membership
board.  There is no charge for the monthly meetings to
hear a speaker on various topics.  (For example, on
Sept. 18, a member of the local group is going to give
a presentation on Search Engine Optimization.)

If someone wants to join the parent IWA organization,
there is a $50 per year charge.  Some of our local
members belong to it, and some do not.  It's
everyone's individual choice.  I'm not sure how other
chapters are set up.  Perhaps St. Louis has more
latitude because it was an independent organization
that years later decided to join the IWA as a local
chapter.

In regard to the IWA's Certification Program, I have
not had any experience with it.  So there's not really
anything I can share about certification.

Like anything else in life, each group has its
strengths and weaknesses.  Hopefully, the best aspects
of each one will combine for the benefit of everybody.

Best regards,
Susan