Re: Rant and Catch-22

by Susan Vollmer <susanvollmer(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Thu, 11 Oct 2001 05:12:18 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

--- David.Artiss(at)boots.co.uk wrote:
>  Under normal circumstances people get dissed
> for their sites not
> conforming to, and lets be honest, browsers that
> aren't actually that old. At
> home I use IE6 but at work I'm stuck with IE4.

In several cases, I don't think it's an issue of
people "not wanting" to upgrade their browsers.  I
know one person on an older Mac who doesn't have the
memory available to upgrade browsers so she uses an
older one.

Where I work, in the spring, I received a new IBM
laptop with Windows 2000, I.E. 5.0 and Netscape 4.0.
With the recent warnings about Nimba, I tried to
upgrade to I.E. 5.5, SP2 to help close up any security
holes.

The Microsoft Windows 2000 Operating System would not
let me upgrade my Microsoft Internet Explorer browser
because I'm not "the administrator."  I'm just a lowly
user who has neither the intelligence nor the choice
to have any control at all over the system I'm given
to use.

I completed the I.T. Request Form (I work in Sales and
Marketing) asking if someone would upgrade my browser
-- a task that I do with ease on my home computer
equipment.  I also attached a copy of an article from
the colorado.edu site which talked about Nimba and how
upgrading your browser could help prevent becoming a
victim of a virus.

At least I did receive a response from the I.T.
Department, thanking me for the article.  They will
not upgrade my browser.  However, they do have
something planned for the future and will advise me
later.

I'm expecting a return to the abacus and stone
tablets.

Regards,
Susan V.