Re: .Net (Was: Re: suggestions please)

by Emerald Spirit <emerald_spirit(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:38:03 -0800 (PST)
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Very good question.

You are right, we don't know the feasability.  We do
quite a bit of web development in our company, both in
house and for our customers.  In this case, we're
using the Intranet project as a sort of test in
feasability.  This way, we can get a handle on the
architecture and determine its abilities without
affecting our customers.  If it doesn't work - we have
plenty of good ol' ASP knowledge to fall back on.

In fact, at the rate MS goes - we'll probably  have it
built in ASP technology before ASP.Net even comes out!
:-)

As for the Java controversy - I can probably argue
both sides of the fence.  I actually preferred doing
this project in Java (JSP, servlets etc), but my
company's primary focus is MS technologies - so that's
where their strength is.  Since I wanted to build a
site that is as easy as possible to maintain,
realizing that I'm no expecting to stay at my current
position long, I wanted to make sure it isn't a
technology that only I and one other person has
expertise in.

Anyhow, that was our thinking...

Rebecca

--- Nathan Lyle <natelyle(at)chartermi.net> wrote:
> > ...with the idea that
> > we'll use the .Net platform once it comes out.
>
> Without getting (right away anyway) into the
> Java/Microsoft
> controversy, could I ask why you would plan around
> .Net without
> knowing it's feasability? (I don't mean this to
> sound haughty or
> anything, I'm genuinely curious.)
>
> I'd also like to hear anyone elses thoughts on the
> Java/.Net issue.
> (if anyone wants to share)
>
> ~Nathan Lyle   (The Tragic Comedian Poet)
>
> Email: natelyle(at)chartermi.net
> Phone: (906)485-4806
>   Web: www.nathanlyle.com
>
> "After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I
> have no monument than why I have one." - Cato the
> Elder (234-149 B.C.)

=====
Do while Project<>Completed
   if impossible = true then