Re: Opening a page & submitting a form at same time, Lo-tech style

by Complex <complex_hwg(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:59:36 -0800 (PST)
 To:  HWG Techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I wanted to thank everyone for spending time thinking about my problem.

Unfortunately, few people seem to have understood what I was looking
for. To be blunt, I don't think most respondents read the posts very
carefully at all.

The question was whether there was a clever way to send the user to the
destination page without using JavaScript, and to submit the form at
the same time, perhaps using JavaScript (such as the form.submit()
method).  The answer, by the way, appears to be that THERE IS NO WAY.
Oh, well.

The question had nothing to do with CGIs at all. I do submit the form
to a CGI, and it emails the form's contents to me. That currently works
just fine. I stated in the posts that I do not wish to use the CGI to
send the user to the destination page. I used to, but I don't any more.

I might be wrong, but some other people didn't seem to understand that
there's a way to both submit the form and send the user to the
destinatino page if you DO use JavaScript. You'd submit the form to the
CGI as usual, but you wouldn't use the CGI to send the user anywhere.
It's a simple onClick handler; look at
http://www.scanalytics.com/product/download/downloadEntry.html.

Oh, well. I was trying to make all of my customers happy by performing
my most important tasks without scripting of any kind, but that's just
not possible. We did get some spirited discussion, though.

Thanks.

</end discussion>