Re: IE4 and Image Alignment

by Emerald Spirit <emerald_spirit(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:32:04 -0800 (PST)
 To:  Catenae Web Sites <catenae(at)catenae.com>,
"HTML Writer's Guild Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Its fine in IE 6 at a high screen resolution (1152 X
864), but it does run off the page at lower
resolutions.

It appears to me that the problem is with your table
widths... Your 90% (as you guessed) is causing a
problem.  You should be able to get it to work in both
IE and Netscape without having the 90% there.  What
have you tried, and what was the result in Netscape?

Rebecca

--- Catenae Web Sites <catenae(at)catenae.com> wrote:
> I've done multiple liquid layouts, but I've stumbled
> into a problem with
> IE4 that I haven't encountered before. The entire
> page is contained
> within a table of 100% width. When I place an image
> and text in the
> lower left cell of the table, it's fine in NN4.7+
> and IE4 so long as I
> don't try to wrap the text around the image:
>
> http://www.mosaicstonesupply.com/contact1.html
>
> However, when I set the image attribute ALIGN="left"
> it still displays
> properly in NN4.7+ but overflows the screen in IE4:
>
> http://www.mosaicstonesupply.com/contact2.html
>
> That alignment attribute is the only difference
> betwenn the two pages.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> (1) Since IE versions don't play well together, I
> only have IE4 (the
> oldest I support) to test with. If you have a later
> version, I'd like to
> know whether the page with the left aligned image (
> http://www.mosaicstonesupply.com/contact2.html )
> displays properly in
> newer versions of IE.
>
> (2) Does anyone know of a workaround for this? I
> know I can remove the
> width="90%" setting in the upper row, but then it
> won't display properly
> in NN4.7; what I'd prefer is something that will
> work in both browsers.
>
> Triche Osborne
> Catenae Web Sites

=====