RE: htaccess redirect of multi pages to multi destinations

by Complex <complex_hwg(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Tue, 6 Aug 2002 09:05:43 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  Brian V Bonini <b-bonini(at)cox.net>,
HWG Techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
--- Brian V Bonini <b-bonini(at)cox.net> wrote:
> It does not matter if the paths are not the same because you could
> just do
>
> Redirect /service http://foo.bar.com/newPath
>
> As for different file names try RedirectMatch and use a regex:
>
> RedirectMatch (.*)\.gif$ http://www.anotherserver.com$1.jpg
>
> This would redirect all GIF files to like-named JPEG files on another
> server.

Okay, so how would I redirect _some_ GIF files but not others? Because
I'm working with a large number of files that have varied names and
directories, I (believe I) can't make a pattern that will match only
the files that need redirects.

If there were a way of matching the file name to an element in a list,
then I could redirect that to a corresponding element in a list. (This
is beginning to sound like something you might do with PHP. My
company's hosted server doesn't support PHP. :-(   )

<snip>
> You also do not HAVE to necessarily rename file extensions to get
> Apache to
> do SSI parsing. You could just tell Apache to parse html files as
> well for
> SSI directives.

Yes, but that's not the issue. I didn't merely change the extensions; I
frequently changed the file names so that they made more sense (to me).

So that's why I was looking for a multi-line .htaccess file.

If you have a clue on how to approach matching a file name against a
list of file names, please hit me with it!

> Good luck,
> -Brian
> <our previous posts snipped for brevity>

=====
Note:  Any HTML I've typed probably contains spaces or periods to break it in HTML-capable mail readers. (e.g.   <.H1>Like This< /H1>  )