Re: htaccess redirect of multi pages to multi destinations

by Complex <complex_hwg(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Fri, 9 Aug 2002 09:28:57 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Aha!

A friend recognized the mistake I was making. I needed to save the
.htaccess file with Unix line breaks, not Mac or DOS! So the following
works, so long as it has Unix line breaks:

RedirectPermanent /first.html http://zarathud.org/page1.html
RedirectPermanent /page1.shtml http://zarathud.org/page1.html
RedirectPermanent /page2.shtml http://zarathud.org/sub/page2.html
RedirectPermanent /page3.html http://zarathud.org/boat/page3.html

I tried following someone's suggestion for /website/first.html, etc.
but that didn't work, even with Unix line breaks. I think that path
just doesn't suit my situation. I also wanted to try rewrite (looks
cool!) but I haven't gotten to it yet, and I would have made the same
mistake anyway.

In BBEdit 5.1 (an older version of a great Mac text editor), which is
what I have here at work, you can choose Unix line breaks from the
Save As dialog's Options. The trick is, you can't choose this option
when using Save to FTP Server. So you have to save correctly to
desktop first, and then save to server.

Thanks for all your advice. It seems like a lot of people are
unfamiliar with this technique. I think it's worth using; it should
make life easier for the webmaster (me) and for the customers.

--complex

=====
Note:  Any HTML I've typed probably contains
spaces or periods to break it in HTML-capable mail readers.
(e.g.   <.H1>Like This< /H1>  )