Re: Can Javascript check for existence of a page?

by Complex <complex_hwg(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:28:39 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  HWG Techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Not to my knowledge, but PHP can.

If your server supports PHP, then write these as PHP pages. Look into
the "file functions" for the functions that will check to see if a file
(the page) exists.

It's probably a lot easier to just step in and hand-code the last page.
At some point you have to admit that you, the web programmer, really
are necessary.

--- David Jones <dvjones(at)ksbe.edu> wrote:
> Good afternoon!
>
> I have a simple Javascript that steps through a
> sequentially numbered series of pages (one step per
> button click). When it gets to the last page in the
> series, clicking the button displays a page not found
> error. Is there anyway a Javascript can check for the
> existence of a page before going there (IOW, before
> actually loading the page)?
>
> David
> dvjones(at)ksbe.edu

=====
Note:  Any HTML I've typed probably contains
spaces or periods to break it in HTML-capable mail readers.
(e.g.   <.H1>Like This< /H1>  )