Re: script for one page database based catalog

by jalal <the_jalal(at)fastmail.fm>

 Date:  Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:34:11 +0200
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Tue 23 September 2003 23:41, Doris Kyburz wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have an excel spreadsheet with about 900 items that should be
> turned into a form. Hard coding this animal would take forever...
>
> Also, the client has to update pricing frequently and it would be
> ideal if they could do this easily by updating their basic excel
> spreadsheet and feed it into the database.

I've done this quite often with an Access database, but I think it would be
similar with Excel.

When the web site needs updating, export the data from Access in a .csv format
into a text file.
Go to the web site, where I have a PHP page to upload the file, they click the
browse button to find the text file on their local computer, upload it onto
the web host, where the script then loads it into the database (MySQL
usually).
The page to view the details (catalog page or whatever it is) is a PHP page
that pulls the data out into a table or whatever format is needed, and
displays it.

HTH

--

GPG fingerprint = 3D45 5509 D380 26A4 523E  A9D8 A66A 5F38 CA43 BB0E