Re: website for an artist

by Kevin Waterson <kevin(at)oceania.net>

 Date:  Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:21:02 +1100
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
This one time, at band camp, "Dennis K." <dennisk(at)louisville.edu> wrote:

> Anyone have advice about finding a photographer to take
> pictures of the products? What kind of photographer experience should I look
> for? Are there photographers who specialize in taking photos of artwork?

As I live in .au I will be unable to help you with the photography, but can
hopefully give to a tip. Yes, there are photographers who specialize in artworks.
There are techniques for photographing pictures, especially those in frames, and
there is specialized equipment for smaller statues and 3D objects. A product table
is best suited to this purposes. My best advice would be to look at a photographers
portfolio, have a look at there product works, this may be for tins of beans or
jewelery, but the process is much the same. Then you need to tell your photographer
the 'feel' you want to the images, eg: dramatic, soft etc. What color you would
like the background of the images. be sure all the images have a similar 'theme'.

I have in my studio a product table developed for this type of photography and
anything less is a comprimise. You need the images have impact and be of good
quality. At the end of the day, it is _your_ name on them.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
Kind regards
Kevin

--
 ______