Re: Missing pictures

by jalal <the_jalal(at)fastmail.fm>

 Date:  Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:54:21 +0100
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Fri 13 February 2004 14:33, Darrell King wrote:
> Even Dreamweaver's system requires this type of upload, which is why we
> stopped using it as a site management tool back in 2003. Nowadays, we use
> PHP includes.  Changing a site-wide menu requires editing of only a single
> file.  Uploaded, this header file instantly propagates the change to all
> pages that use it.

We're trying to go this route too. The difficulty is weaning designers off of
Dreamweaver, or, if they want to use it, to have it work with PHP.

It'll take time, but we're slowly getting there. One of the designers wanted
something changed in the meta tags on a large site. She asked me if I could
do a search and replace or something similar. No need I said, edited the php
include file in about 20 secs, reloaded the pages and showed her that it was
done. It took a while to explain how it all worked (the idea of server side
processing being a little new) but eventually we reached that "Aha! Thats
pretty cool!" sort of space.

cheers
jalal

--

GPG fingerprint = 3D45 5509 D380 26A4 523E  A9D8 A66A 5F38 CA43 BB0E