Re: htpasswd security

by jalal <the_jalal(at)fastmail.fm>

 Date:  Wed, 7 Jul 2004 16:33:28 +0200
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On Wed 7 July 2004 13:54, Christoph Niemann wrote:
> Jalal,
> where is the program WebPassword available which you mentioned?
> When googling it I only found a program with that name encrypting HTML
> pages but not managing the .htppasswd file.
> I am taking care for a website which reqires up to 350 different passwords
> (and logins) for the protected folders.
> A Windows based program would be very helpfull for this task.
> TIA

Webpassword is already installed by my hosting company and its part of the VDS
setup, so I don't know if it is available outside of that.

HTEdit, available at:
http://cgi-central.net/scripts/htedit/
would also do what you want. And, in fact, I find it rather better than
WebPassword.

HTH

> Chris
>
> At 10:38 07.07.2004, jalal wrote:
>  >On Wed 7 July 2004 09:00, Greg Hart wrote:
>  >> I've been trying to research the methods and security issues of using
>  >> .htpasswd to protect directories. One key point is to not allow ...
>  >
>  >I usually put it in the same directory with the .htaccess file. Some
>  > sites I work with have a program (WebPassword) that creates and manages
>  > the setup
>
> and
>
>  >that stores the htpasswd file in /etc/webpassword/path/to/htaccess (or
>  >something like that).
>  >Other sites have them stored in other places.
>  >
>  >I prefer to put them in the same directory as the .htaccess file as it
>  > makes it easier to find them and know where they are.

GPG fingerprint = 3D45 5509 D380 26A4 523E  A9D8 A66A 5F38 CA43 BB0E