Re: Web pages from a database

by Melanie Gann <mgann(at)second-street.com>

 Date:  Fri, 25 Jan 2002 05:37:32 -0500
 To:  "Michael Gerholdt" <gerholdt(at)fredonia.edu>,
"Howard Rothenburg" <hrothenb(at)bcpl.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Another thing to think about is your customer base.

For example, I run a small [one woman] shop. Most of my customers are other
small businesses  [larger businesses unless you have "an in" go mostly
towards the larger development firms].

My experience is that small businesses don't want to pay license fees
unless they have to. For them PHP and MYSQL are a very good choice. I have
also used MS Access for several non-transactional type of databases and not
had any problems.

Regards,
Melanie

At 10:58 PM 1/24/02 -0500, Michael Gerholdt wrote:
>MS Access is cheap. It requires little administrative expertise. It is very
>portable in that the entire database comprises one file. It is a great place
>for beginners to learn about databases, normalization, querying and data
>retrieval.
>
>MS MSDE is the MS SQL Server engine and is for development only - not
>production. But everything developed in MSDE can be imported to MS SQL
>Server with no modification at all.
>
>MS SQL Server 2000 is an industry-level, heavy duty database. It can be very
>expensive. It requires database administration on a level far different from
>that of MS Access if it is to be used in such a manner that takes advantage
>of its many powerful features.
>

>MS Access can handle quite a bit of traffic, but it is essentially a desktop
>application which can be used by workgroups. It is not intended to be used
>in an international service such as the web. Still, if use is moderate it
>does ok. Most data storage and retrieval needs on the web do not exceed MS
>Access' capabilities. That does not mean it is suited to the purpose,
>however - just that it does real good. Where it really shines is in its user
>interface and reporting tools.
>
>But if there is a need for a truly robust, flexible, secure enterprise
>database then MS Access is not the place to go.
>
>mySQL demands much respect - more than MS Access - but it is not an Oracle
>nor an MS SQL Server either by a long stretch. I know it has some very
>devoted users; I use it as well. It's a great tool. Probably quite robust
>and can handle lots of concurrent demands. But that said, Oracle and MS
>Server are in a league that mySQL only dreams of, in any way you want to
>measure.
>
>Those are some thoughts in response to your question.
>
>pmg
>

>> What condierations and guidelines are people following about when to
>> use MS Access or the new MS MSDE or MS SQLServer?

Second Street Web Design
http://www.second-street.com