Re: extracting pics from MS Word

by Romek <zylla(at)ck-sg.p.lodz.pl>

 Date:  Fri, 21 Dec 2001 12:28:13 -0100
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

all mentioned screen capture utilities have one common drawback:
resulting image file depends on screen resolution, color depth and
zoom setting in the Word.  So in some sense they are not extracting
the original image.
On the other hand Bob Unger need images for the internet - means
probably that resolution need to be 72 or 96 ppi.

I wrote little command line utility for extracting PNG files
(FYI  Word above version 7 keep bitmap images in PNG format).
It is quick and dirty attempt so it works most of the time :)
and always gives run time error at the finish.

If anybody want that, here it is:

  http://ipos.p.lodz.pl/files/ext2png.zip

 Usage:
    ext2png  myfile.doc

 If the file contains PNG images then files with names
  myfil001.png  myfil002.png  etc. are created.
 (because of the error one file with .tmp extension and
  zero size is also created - can be deleted)

--
Romek Zylla
~~~~~~~~~~~  after all the work done by Micro$oft (R)  ~~~~~~~~~~