Re: Scrolling Script - Java?

by Kyle Matthews <jits(at)ihug.co.nz>

 Date:  Mon, 17 Jan 2000 23:09:35 +1300
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:11 PM 1/16/00 -0500, 9675.0203(at)tcon.net wrote:
>I am not knowledgeable concerning Java script .
>
>I found a "scrolling" applet on a web site that I would like to
>emulate.  I copied the source code that powers the scrolling text, and
>placed it in a blank html file .. and it worked.  There is however, at
>the beginning of the original html source code a reference to a base url
>such as:
><BASE HREF="http://????.com/????-??????/?????????/">
>
>As long as that reference is in the scrolling html file, it works ..
>take it out and the applet doesn't load.
>
>The <BASE HREF="http:URL"> refers to the original url where I found the
>scrolling script.
>
>Is there a way I can use the scrolling code without referencing the
>originators URL?

the base tag basically tells the browser to reference all relative links in
the html document, by that base as well. So a link to "stuff.html" would be
referenced as "http://????.com/????-??????/?????????/stuff.html". What
you're actually doing is using the java files off their server, which is
generally considered rather rude, and possibly breach of copyright and
things. the html source is just pointing to the java.class file etc, and
providing some parameters. the browser is then going to their site and

if you want to remove the base tag, add it in front of all the references
in the java section. would recommend that you ask if they'll give you a
copy of the java.files though.

Kyle