Re: sound file on site

by "J. Ramsey" <tubetown(at)newnorth.net>

 Date:  Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:27:13 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
 Cc:  webmaster(at)gabd.com
  todo: View Thread, Original

>>>>>>>>>>>Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 16:23:43 -0500
From: "Lisa McSparrin" <webmaster(at)gabd.com>
Subject: Background Sound not Working in Netscape

Okay Gang,
I did some checking and the sound I placed here
http://www.gabd.com/bmsmarketing.htm is working on explorer

What needs to be changed so that it works in both?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

regards,
Lisa >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi, Lisa,
    As mentioned in previous posts, you'll want to investigate a different
way to get the sound file to your visitors (Flash, etc) as the present
method is *not* a good choice - I've been waiting for the download on your
page to finish for over 8 minutes on a 28.8 connection. Obviously, I'm
waiting now strictly to see how long it takes - if I was visiting your site
for real (as a customer) I would have been gone llloooooonnnnnnngggg ago.
    I have to question the appropiateness of adding sound like this to a
site (especially a marketing one, at that) - I can see from your code that
the file is an mp3 of Cher's "Believe" (no, it's still not done loading). I
guess I wonder how Cher's disco number is going to convey anything to your
visitors that helps legitimatize your professionalism in the field of
marketing - aside from letting me know that you might like to dance, I
don't see how it's beneficial.
    I have seen tasteful uses of audio on web sites to provide voiceovers
and spoken introductions - that's an application that I could see working
on a site like this. As it is now, I view this solely as a whim - "I can
add audio and I really like Cher so let's do it!". (I've seen plenty of
Flash sites that use audio effectively tho' I'm still not convinced music
is necessary on a site of this nature.)
   Perhaps you are playing on the "believe" aspect of Cher's tune - I don't
know. If you're looking at lending a sense of professionalism while
reassuring clients that the marketing firm can handle their needs, I think
that you can do better with some other type of audio.
   Completely as an aside, adding copyrighted material to any website
(Cher's song is indeed copyrighted) can be a good way to end up in hot
water. Even if it's meant as an homage, you are in dicey areas by playing
music that doesn't belong to you (even though you bought the disc, it's not
yours). I'd suggest a visit to
<http://www.bmi.com/iama/business/index.asp> to read up on licensing of
music if you really want to pursue the matter. ASCAP is the other main
licensing body for music tho' their site blows as far as info. You can
definitely get the gist of it all at the BMI site - basically, including
copyrighted music on a web site (or played in your business) constitutes a
"public performance" which you need to be licensed to offer. Even if you're
not charging for it. Even if you "didn't know" that it's illegal.
   My suggestion (offered humbly) - don't even pursue the thought of music
on your site at this point. Concentrate on making the best web site that
you can - strong content, good layout, tasteful design - if those pieces
are in place, music isn't even a factor.
   I hope this helps......

P.S.  After 20 minutes+......... it's still loading.
John Ramsey
Pinni Design Group
<http://www.brcds.com/pinni>
tubetown(at)newnorth.net