Re: Meta Tags....??? Help

by KeithWBell(at)aol.com

 Date:  Sun, 8 Oct 2000 09:08:19 EDT
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
jeremy(at)localnetamerica.com writes:

> Another site that has been listed for several
>  months now is http://www.buddybar.com

I tried searching for "Cargo Bars Retainers" and found:

- Buddy Bar site was ranked first by AltaVista and Excite
- wasn't found at all by Yahoo, Lycos, Go.com or Metacrawler
- if they found it at all, it didn't figure in the top 50 on HotBot, Google
or Webcrawler

Looking at the meta tags, I'd suspect that some program is used to produce
them, i.e. you input a few relevant keywords, and it spits out plural and
past tense versions of the words, hence nonsense like "Lockses Truckses
Cargos Barses Retainerses" (how much use is that?). A number of the tags are
Dublin Core meta tags which I don't think are supported by many if any of the
major search engines, so I reckon the most imoprtant are the good old
keywords and description tags for which the usual guidelines regarding
spamming and relevancy should apply.

I'm curious about the <META NAME="VW96.objecttype"...> tag. Any suggestions,
anyone?

Keith Bell