Re: CSS & Table borders - Netscape

by Gabriele Caniglia <gabriele(at)sideralia.it>

 Date:  Tue, 16 Oct 2001 12:32:16 +0200
 To:  HWG Techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
--On Monday, 15 ottobre 2001 19:36 -0400 Lisa Bradshaw
<zibbler(at)mediaone.net> wrote:

> Yes, I am fully aware that NN4.7  totally mangles the page, which is
> exactly why I said that it should be viewed in the newer browsers. I also
> mentioned that the reason I didn't have an alternative page is because I
> don't have the server space to provide one, and ultimately, this page
> would be meaningless for anyone using NN4.7 because of the CSS I'm using.
> NN4.7 just doesn't support it. Remember, it IS a tutorial page that uses
> CSS. If people are willing to learn the "latest" web design techniques,
> then I would think (hopefully) that they would also be willing to update
> their browser too. The only alternative I had was to use a browser
> sniffer and allow the visitor the ability to download the latest browser.
> I gave a you direct link to this page, not the browser redirect link.
> Please don't misunderstand, I don't want to "exclude" anyone from my
> page, but because of the nature of the page I felt that most people
> should be willing to upgrade. The only reason I even suggested this
> technique is because someone had asked about how to use this "button
> technique". NN4 WILL NOT work for this regardless.

I totally agree. Anyway I always try to make an alternate CSS file for
older browsers, so to have a "simplified" site view and still be able to
read contents and follow links.

You can try this: <http://www.edoras.it/>. It's entirely XHTML 1.0 Strict,
and it doesn't make use of tables for element positioning. Try also to
reach the site with NN4.x and see the difference... :-)

Gabriele