RE: y2k in netscape 4.08

by "Ronald van Uffelen" <ruffelen(at)usa.net>

 Date:  Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:51:45 +0100
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

On 6 Jan 00, at 8:10, John Erjavec V wrote:

> >I guess what most folks are saying is that, to a really large number
> >of programmers (ADA, C, C++, Java, Perl, shell, and so on), the
> >year IS $t[5] + 1900 (or something very similar).
>
> I agree with this as well.  I guess I just have a problem with people
> implementing a language in a way that goes against the language definition,
> and saying that they implemented the language.  How non-compliant do you
> have to be before you have to start calling it something else?

IMHO Microsoft implements JScript, not JavaScript. JScript is
Microsofts implementation, with some subtle differences, of
JavaScript. So they gave it another name, actually creating another
language. I guess that they have the right, and the marketing
power, to do that, and that they can make it as different as they
like.

Ronald
Ronald van Uffelen
E-Mail: ruffelen(at)usa.net