Text line width (Re: Screen Resolution)

by "Arcady"<arcady(at)jps.net>

 Date:  Thu, 24 Feb 2000 21:39:29 GMT
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Personally I design a given page for a given width and stick to it. If they have
more resolution then they get more vertical space in my book, not horizontal.

For example:
http://www.pretzel.com/ (A site I did as part of my job. You'll see text in
the subpages.)
http://www.geocities.com/arcady0/macross/zentradi.html
	(a subpage of a current hobby project, none of the links work yet. Only this
and the index page are up.)

I've heard the limit on characters in a line is between 60 to 80.

To make text look good you really have to ensure line width, font, font size,
and style. I set up a style sheet with all the various elements spec'd out for
an entire site.

To deal with width I always place it in fixed width tables. I use a lot of transparent
gif images (a 1*1 pixel transparent gif that I stretch to needs) to ensure proper
placement and maximum width are forced, since the browsers don't always pay
exact attention to the width you specify in a table or table data cell.