Re: tables

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Sun, 09 Jan 2000 21:55:41 +1100
 To:  Noteworthy Web Designs <webmaster(at)noteworthydesigns.com>,
HWG Techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:20 am 8/01/00 -0600, Noteworthy Web Designs wrote:
>Just wanting some opinions here. Is it best, based on browser and
>resolutions compatibility, to measure out tables, columns, cells, rows,
>etc. in pixels or percentages? I need to settle on one or the other. For
>me mathematically, pixels work best, but percentages probably work
>better across the board for the varieties of monitor settings and sizes
>and browsers. I need to settle on one or the other:-)

Should you use absolute or percentages?  The answer is "yes" :)

OK - percentages are the best, they suit the majority of browsers, but
there are times when you need an absolute size (if only CSS was universally
displayed :)

I generally use pixels for one or two columns and let the content expand to
full size (table = 95 or 100%)

A minimum column size can also be set by using an image as wide as
necessary. This is a good technique for ensuring a consistant layout on
smaller screens.

Chris