Re: Validation Error

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Mon, 10 Jan 2000 22:54:46 +1100
 To:  "The Lion's Cub" <lionscub(at)elknet.net>,
HWG -- Techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:43 pm 9/01/00 -0600, The Lion's Cub wrote:
>Recently I validated with W3C and I got the following error or actually I
>think it is more a warning.  Curious as to why I got it, and how to correct
>it if anyone knows.
>
>Character encoding: iso-8859-1 The character encoding specified in the HTTP
>header ("") is different from the one specified in the META element
>("iso-8859-1"). I will use "iso-8859-1" for this validation.

It's not an error - just informational.

It means the server isn't providing a specification it can grab hold of
(ie, using a default) but your HTML page includes a line that says:

The declaration in the HTML file takes precedence over the default, so the
validator correctly tells you which choice it has made in assessing your
document.

I get that message all the time :)

Regards,

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au/