Re: password protected webpages

by Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

 Date:  Fri, 07 Apr 2000 11:45:02 +0930
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

My initial post was prompted by Christie's comment that her intent was to
irritate/annoy/whatever. Perhaps she didn't intend for the comment to be
taken literally, I don't know...BUT the following comments in no way
reflect on her or her site....*I am speaking generally*.....

<snip>

>Let us remember a few things of supreme truth and importance:

>Putting up a web page is NOT the same thing as traveling around the world
>and sticking copies of it on everybody's computer.  When people visit your
>site, THEY are coming to YOUR place. If you come to my house and don't like
>how I've decorated it or how I behave to guests, all you have to do is
>leave. Same for any web site.

</snip>

It's not ? ...facetiously speaking...every single web page that is ever
made is just sitting there waiting to be looked at, so in effect, there is
a copy on everybody's computer...whether they choose to look at it or not,
is another matter :)))))))

Every man/woman's home is his/her castle and they can do/behave in it any
way they wish until they break the law and get arrested...pretty much the
same thing applies in cyberspace...:) However, if you own a store and want
to attract customers, it's a good idea to make the atmosphere as pleasant
as possible so that when somebody walks in they don't want to run right out
again.

>"We" (as you put it) have NO obligation to please anyone. The ubiquitous
>nature of the web does NOT impose speech constraints on anyone. We have the
>perfect right, on our site, to be whatever you meant by "parochial," to be
>"sexist," to be rude, annoying, insincere, provocative, unbelievable, wierd,
>uncaring, in-your-face.

You're absolutely right..."We" (as in graphic/web/design professionals) are
not *obligated* to please anyone, but again...displease customers and they
will go away. My use of the word "parochial" was simply meant to imply that
what we put up on a website is there to be seen by the whole world (if they
choose to look) and not just our little corner of it.
<snip>

>Obviously, if one is running a site for the purpose of making some form of
>profit or creating some productive result, one will endeavor NOT to offend
>its intended audience. It would be silly to say that owners of such sites
>don't know that. But many people are on the web simply to express whatever
>it is they have to say. Not everyone is using the web for commercial or
>organizational purposes. In fact, I would say that MOST ARE NOT.

</snip>

They *may* know it but if they're a total klutz when it comes to design,
presentation, layout etc., and they "offend" the eyballs, or irritate,
they're not going to be very "productive".  It used to be that in most
companies, the janitor cleans, the accountant counts the beans, the
marketing guru handles the marketing and the creative person handles the
creativity. Now, we have everyone wanting to do the creative and in a lot
of cases, it just plain does NOT come off. Beauty may be in the eye of the
beholder but so is ugly :))))))))

I know I'm being pedantic about this but I think you missed my point. I was
NOT talking about personal sites. I was referring to *commercial* sites and
with the explosion of e-commerce, everybody from Joe down the block to the
CEO of Mega-Bucks Corporation wants a commercial site that's going to make
them rich overnight and it just plain does NOT work that way if it's going
to make them rich at all.

Having a commercial web site is no different, from owning a store in a
strip mall...if anything, it's probably even more fraught with potholes.
It has to be nutured, pleasantly decorated and welcoming. THEN it has to be
marketed...not once a week, not once a month...every day.

</snip>

>PLEASE:
>In the name of the preservation of freedom in the world, please let's not
>ever suggest to anyone that he has a "responsibility" not to offend people.
>Or that he has a responsibility to "include" people. YOUR site is YOUR site,
>to do with as you please.

</snip>

I'm not suggesting that anyone has a "responsibility" not to offend or a
"responsibility" to "include" people...yes, YOUR site is YOUR site and you
may be as offensive, provocative, insulting or as charming and delightful
as you please but...what I AM saying is....be prepared for the consequences
of your actions.

<dismounting soapbox> :))))))

Kym
Whose opinions are just that...opinions...*shrug*

Never slap a man that is chewin' t'baccy....

FoJo Media -  for Creative Web Design and Marketing Services
http://www.fojomedia.com

Visit our garden to enhance your website with FREE graphics...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/garden.html

In conjunction with Makin' Waves Studio
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/index.html

A tribute to my Mother who recently passed away
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Bayou/4441/tribute.html