Re: what is a web designer?

by Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

 Date:  Wed, 26 Apr 2000 11:53:55 +0930
 To:  "Aline Parrone" <larlina(at)mozcom.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

I wasn't going to get into this thread, but I can't resist :)))))

I think the term Web Designer is one that is used *very* loosely at times.
True, if you put a page up on the Web, irrespective of *how* you have done
it...you have "designed" it. That is, you have placed graphics and text
where you believe they look best.

Having said that, yes, we all have to start somewhere and what we first
produce generally looks pretty awful down the track as we learn. But when
on Monday, you decide that you want a homepage, on Tuesday you find a
tricky piece of software or a site that will "do it all for you in minutes"
and on Wednesday, the page is up and running, you are NOT a Web Designer
and ready to start hunting down "clients". The ability to turn on a tap,
does NOT qualify you as a plumber...:))))))

A good Web Designer, IMHO, takes the time to learn and hone skills, knows
how to code properly, has an eye for detail and is capable of producing
graphics that are pleasing to the eye. That is, able to produce a site,
(not with every bell and whistle known to man) that doesn't make you rush
for the sunglasses or a bucket or both and I *stress*...I am talking about
people on the commercial end of things....*not* someone who just wants to
dabble, making pages for friends and family as a hobby. Great fun and a
great hobby. But, if you are going to be professional, and if you are going
to accept money for your work then you *must* learn your craft.

In a perfect world, and in your dreams, you understand
marketing/advertising/design/layout/printing/proof reading/public
relations/computing/programming and how to set the timer on your VCR
<BIGgrin>.  If you have no background in any of these things, then you
choose which of them applies to you and the direction you intend heading,
and you learn what you need to know. In reality, you *never* stop asking
questions and you *never* stop learning.There are some people who will
never learn for whatever reason, but they'll keep plugging away at it until
the time comes when what they produce is so bad, they'll just fade into
obscurity, leaving the revenue for those that "did the time".

Yes, it takes longer than five minutes, and yes, there are times when hair
pulling is a daily pastime, but in the long run...it's worth it.

And my absolute *pet peeve* ? .....either learn to spell, use a
spellchecker or find someone that has a clue about English.  I am astounded
at the number of really nice pages that are crammed with bad grammar and
spelling errors which IMHO, not only detract from the credibility of the
designer but reflect on the client.  I know there are some people out there
who can't spell to save themselves, but when you have gone to so much
trouble to make a really great site which is able to be seen by the whole
world, and there are so many options for checking grammar and spelling,
it's just plain laziness not to do it.

Whatever you do in this life, do to the *very best* of your ability and
*never* stop testing and honing your abilities.

Kym
She who was born with a "dikshunry" in her mouth and pontificates far too
much :)

At 07:14 AM 04/26/2000 +0800, Aline Parrone wrote:
>thanks for the responses - they're very helpful.  but  i think i have used
>the term "web designer" loosely when in fact i just wanted it to mean "one
>who does websites whether from a programmer or graphic artist or whatever's
>standpoint".  mainly i wanted to know what is expected from a "web maker" if
>one asks you to create a page for them.  i did some research myself last
>night and i found  a copy of a website design contract at
>http://www.wilsonweb.com/worksheet/pkg-con.htm referred to by HWG FAQ which
>provides not only a neat guide on how to do contracts but also outlines in
>detail the services of a "web maker".
>
>but just to use darrel's informal definitions here,  it is interesting to
>note that i am a web designer fumbling at the javascripts ;-)
>
>aline
>http://www2.mozcom.com/~larlina

Never slap a man that is chewin' t'baccy....

FoJo Media -  for Creative Web Design and Marketing Services
http://www.fojomedia.com

Visit our garden to enhance your website with FREE graphics...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/garden.html

In conjunction with Makin' Waves Studio
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/index.html

A tribute to my Mother who recently passed away
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Bayou/4441/tribute.html