Re: OT love bug

by Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

 Date:  Fri, 05 May 2000 22:12:38 +0930
 To:  hgquinn(at)attglobal.net,
Hwg-Techniques(at)Mail.Hwg.Org
  todo: View Thread, Original

I apologize for this being so far off topic...but I think it's important
enough to say:

Don't be so quick to thank...you may not use Outlook and you may use a Mac,
Unix or Linux. The fact that you *can't* open it doesn't mean that you
can't infect others...if it's on your sytem, you become Typhoid Mary,
spreading the virus. If it is anywhere on your system, delete it and delete
it from your trash as well.

Somebody posted to this list earlier today laughing at someone that had
been infected and smugly claimed  that they couldn't be affected. Well gee,
perhaps not, but they can sure spread it and frankly, I find that attitude
to be not only arrogant, but damned irresponsible as well.

This virus is no laughing matter and it is doubly insidious because it
appears to come from someone that is known to the recipient so that even
the most astute user *might* open it accidently.

The press has been so busy shouting about email that I doubt they have
given a great deal of thought to the fact that if the virus can be dcc'd
with mIRC, it can also be dcc'd with Pirch and yes, Ircle too...not to
mention ICQ and the myriad of other messagers that are out there.

*Never* accept a dcc chat or file send from *anyone* that you don't
know...(yes, common knowledge to regular users - not to new users and the
overly curious) and if you use ICQ, (aka the swiss cheese of security) be
aware that you are a prime target, not only for this demon but for every
other demon out there.

I haven't been hit with it, but that's not to say I won't be and I hope
they find the culprit...I'd like five minutes of his time :)

Kym

At 05:55 AM 05/05/2000 -0400, H. G. Quinn wrote:
>I got an infected e-mail, but because I didn't open the VBS
>file, I'm OK.  If I had opened it and got infected, at least
>I don't use MS Outlook, so it wouldn't have replicated from
>my PC.  (TG for non-MS e-mail apps, including Netscape
>Messenger!)
>
>Tell anyone you know who uses Outlook about this -- by phone
>if you can.  Besides not opening the VBS attachment, they
>should also not use the Outlook Preview pane, as it will
>automatically try to open attachments to build the preview
>-- thus executing the VBS file if it's received.  They shoud
>start Outlook up _offline_ and disable the Preview pane,
>_before_ they retrieve any new e-mail.
>
>Rossi Designs wrote:
>
>> Anybody else get bit by the love bug?
>>
>> Rossi Designs
>> PO Box 1084
>> Holly Hill, FL 32125-1084
>> Phone : (904) 226-8979
>
>--
>Heather Quinn
>hgquinn(at)attglobal.net
>http://pws.prserv.net/windyhill

Never slap a man that is chewin' t'baccy....

FoJo Media -  for Creative Web Design and Marketing Services
http://www.fojomedia.com

Visit our garden to enhance your website with FREE graphics...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/garden.html

In conjunction with Makin' Waves Studio
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/index.html

A tribute to my Mother who recently passed away
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Bayou/4441/tribute.html