Re: table cell sizes

by Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

 Date:  Thu, 06 Jul 2000 12:52:03 +0930
 To:  hwg-techniques-digest(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

Mike,

It's hard to tell without seeing it, but it sounds to me like you might
have some cellspacing or cellpadding in the second page that's throwing
things out of whack.

I actually do sometimes specify a height when I first start putting a page
together just for the sake of fit and uniformity if needed...along with all
borders turned on so that I can see where everything is going to sit. Once
it's done, off come the borders and as the page fills up, I increase or
remove the height attribute.

HTH

Kym

At 10:58 AM 07/06/2000 , Mike Henden wrote:
>Hi Listers,
>
>I've been 'lurking' on the list for a while now, but would like to a
>'definitive' answer to the old problem of sizing cells in tables...
>
>I recently discovered Netscape's 'spacer' tag which is great for stopping
>cells collapsing in when viewing a page in Netscape. But today I've
>struck something new... I've placed the same graphic in the same position
>on two different pages (the second page is based on the first) but I'm
>now getting two different cell depths, resulting in the page layout
>looking different on the same two pages.
>
>My understanding is that apart from specifying that a tables-based page
>fills the user's browser, there is no way to specify the height of a
>table - this is determined by the cell contents. So why would the same
>object act differently on two different pages with similar content
>(identical navigation, etc)?
>
>I am wondering if the fact that the page is comprised of nested tables is
>a contributing factor -- the affected image is in the 'top' (outermost)
>layer...
>
>Unfortunately I am not yet able to post a URL, but hope somebody can give
>me an idea as to what is happening. Have the feeling I must be missing
>something fairly basic...
>
>T I A,
>
>MIKE

FoJo Media -  for Creative Web Design and Marketing Services
*NEW*...Be sure to visit the "Samples Gallery"...*NEW*
http://www.fojomedia.com

Visit my garden to enhance your website with FREE graphics...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/garden.html

A tribute to my Mother who recently passed away
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Bayou/4441/tribute.html