Re: xhtml meta tags

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:33:24 +1100
 To:  szcam <szcam(at)pub.sz.jsinfo.net>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'Day Mark,

At 05:57 am 25/01/01 +0000, szcam wrote:
>Can anyone tell me if you need to use the end tag for correct xhtml
>compliance when using meta tags or does it only apply to the body tags.

Yes, end tags are required, but with META tags, you use the combined form:

>Will this affect search engines if you do use the end tag.

Not an end tag, but a combined tag like I've illustrated above - and it
shouldn't affect the search engines provided there is a space between the
last attribute and the closing bracket.

>I have searched the W3C standards but there does not appear to be any
>reference to this.

Try Appendix C (I believe) of the XHTML 1.0 standard - making XHTML work
with current browsers.